Check out Amitabh Chakraborty’s Bengali film, Bishar Blues, at 7 p.m. on November 13 at Lincoln Public Library. This landmark documentary concerns the bauls (or “madmen” itinerant musicians) of Bangladesh, whose ancient songs still occupy the collective Bengali imagination. This is a rare look into the world of the bauls, who are both spurned and venerated, as they inhabit a threshold between societies, sexualities, and religions, preaching Hinduism and Islam simultaneously. This film screening is organized by one of my students, and I would love it if you drop by!
Recent Student Feedback
After eight months living in India, where it was almost impossible to find a Hindi teacher, I went home to Boston for a month of vacation with plans to take Hindi classes twice weekly. The class I had signed up for was canceled due to low enrollment, but luckily Maggie was happy to help me out at the last minute. I had worked with two non-professional Hindi teachers in Gujarat (one was awful, the other is very nice and somewhat helpful, but not a natural language teacher). Ironically, it was easier to learn Hindi from Maggie than either of the native speakers.
Now that I have returned to India, I am missing the classes with Maggie. I not only managed to learn more quickly with Maggie, but also I was much better able to remember what I have learned a week or two after class. She is patient and lets you work on ideas for a period that is long enough for you to absorb the material, but not so long that it is boring. She also suggested some helpful resources I am still using in India. I highly recommend Maggie for either short-term intensive or long-term lessons for fun or practical purposes.
- Taj Mahal Foxtrot
- 20th Annual Harvard India Poetry Reading
- Bollywood Songs: Romance and Revolution
- March 27, 2015: Translating a Hindi Classic Into English Aesthetics, Or “How Can I Convince Everyone This Novel Is Awesome?”
- “The Problem With White Girls, Boys, and Voluntourism”
- Harvard South Asia Institute Summer Film Series
- South Asia Without Borders Symposium April 25-26, 2013
- Boston Hindi Speaker’s Meetup 4/12/13 at 7:00 p.m.
- Hindi Meetup Beginner’s Practice 3/2/13 at 2:00 p.m.
- Join us at the Hindi Meetup 1/10/13 at 7:00 p.m. at Paneera Harvard Square
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Search this site